Friday, October 15, 2010

a holiday with less


You may remember a post from last year about less being more.  I wrote it.  I got some really nice comments about it.  And then as the holidays kicked in gear, I - essentially - forgot all about it.

It seems that when the holiday hoopla hit the festive fan, I blew right past actually understanding a very important piece of "less."  With pride, I kept to my spending budget.  With misguided sincerity, I over-spent myself in making sure that no part of "less" would be found in our holiday. 

With the vision of the boys having enough gifts to open dancing in my head, I made plans for handmade gifts galore.  And when the boys were finally tucked soundly into bed, I started playing elf and building presents to treasure at a much too late of an hour.  I baked gifts for others until I was so tired that nothing was turning out.  Three batches of biscotti crumbled - and I kept at it getting more butter when it was on sale.  Planning and fretting about the dwindling days until my holiday deadline, I asked Chris to take the boys out for some fun so I could get more done in the daylight.

Less.  I couldn't see that I was losing so much - I was less a whole holiday.  Everyone got less of me because I wanted to give them more. 


This year, I hope to remember that less is not the Grinch threatening to haul off with my holidays.  It's not just about the money saved - it's also about the time savored.  Handmade holiday gifts are still important to me - having flour all over the floor and butter softening on the counter is important to me too - in balance.  This year, at the top of my list is thinking about what I really want from my holidays - asking the boys what they look forward to this holiday season and making sure that's what our family gets by the time the gifts are all opened. 

What do you like most about your holiday season?  What does your family look forward to doing during the holidays? I'd love to hear.

3 comments:

wesleyjeanne said...

I need to remember this same thing. The year before last I tried so hard to make many experiences for the kids that I spent myself out in energy. Last year I let go of a lot. This year I want to try to find the in-between.
Important to me during the holidays:
Christmas-tree farm and decorating "party"; Pirogi Day with the in-laws; helping Owen make her gifts for others; being with my family.
I do think I want to try to take Owen to see The Nutcracker this year, but other than that, and the things I mentioned above, I'm leaving it all to serendipity.
Good luck to you in your "less quest"--return to this post as you need to and I will do the same.

kam said...

I like making homemade things too! Preferrably while watching Home Alone and Elf! and I like the sweets and the dill crackers Mom makes. I'm a simple girl!

Heather said...

I have felt this every year, and every year I have said that things would be different "this time". It is hard because we want those memories of our children and our loved ones to be filled with joy, and it gets hard to remember that most likely all that they want from us is to sit down and a enjoy a good cup of hot chocolate with them :).